May 17, 2008

Stephenie Meyer!!

As soon as I heard that Stephenie Meyer would be here doing a book signing, I just knew that I had to go. I am such a big fan of the Twilight series, and I couldn't resist the opportunity to have her sign a copy of my book. There was only one small problem...tickets were limited. They were only selling around 250 tickets, and the night before they went on sale people had already started lining up in front of Border's when I was on my way home from work.

Our initial plan had been to get there at about 4:00 am, which would be four hours before they opened the doors. As soon as I heard that people were already starting to accumulate outside of the store, I knew that I had to change my plan or there was no way that I would end up at the book signing. I got home and told Brett that people were already at the bookstore waiting, and that I wanted to head over right away.

This is where he looked at me like I had lost my damn mind.

Maybe that was true, but I wasn't going to give up. It didn't take much begging, and the promise that I would mix up some beer margarita's to take with us, before he finally agreed. The new plan was that we were going to have dinner, gather some things to keep us entertained, and then we would be there at midnight.

We actually did have a pretty good time, and even Brett found himself laughing about the situation, playing games on the sidewalk with total strangers and making the best of the situation.


Tonight was the night that we actually went to the book signing. Since Brett had already had his fair share of Twilight fans, I took my sister-in-law Laura with me. The book signing was scheduled to promote the release of her newest book, The Host. We got to listen to her read a few exerpts from the book and then there was a discussion and Q&A segment about the book. I haven't read it yet, but after what I heard during the discussions I am definitely looking forward to seeing what this story is all about.

After the Q&A was over, we got to meet her and have our books signed. They allowed everyone who came to bring two books from the Twilight series and as many copies of The Host as you wanted. It was so exciting, and we had a ton of fun! There were a lot of CRAZY fans there, but it made things interesting! Here are some pictures from the event:



Me, at the podium


Laura, at the podium


Stephenie Meyer during the discussion


Stephenie Meyer during the signing


My personalized copy of The Host! I also had her sign Twilight and Eclipse
 Our seats actually ended up being really good. I guess that's why being in line three hours prior to the event pays off. I knew that since the seats were just on a general admission basis, we would have to be there early. Laura was planning on coming down to wait it out with me, but got stuck in traffic on the way and only made about 5 minutes before they opened the doors.


It really was a great experience, and if you ever get the chance to meet her at a signing, I highly recommend it. She's so awesome! If not for the autograph, at least for the entertainment. You wouldn't believe how obsessive some of her fans are, it definitely makes you appreciate your own grip on reality.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! We need to talk because I wanted to go. I'm in the middle of The Host and I'm loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being an awesome sister-in-law and getting me a ticket. It was fun hanging out with you. I started The Host and it is turning out to be excellent.

    ReplyDelete

Come on! Tell us what's on your mind. You know you want to....