December 19, 2009

Why can't all teachers be good ones?

I understand that college is supposed to be more difficult than high school, but I think that some teachers take it way too far. Brett's art history teacher is one of them.

He had his final for the class this morning, and to prepare for it, he has been studying his ass off. Yesterday alone, the two of us spent around eight hours cramming to try and make sense of it all. I think that she enjoys torturing her students. It's not like she gives them a review with an idea of what is going to be on the test and tells them to study it. No, instead she gives them a study guide a million miles long, and then only puts a fraction of it on the exam. So instead of being able to know that you are walking into the classroom ready, and confident in knowing what is coming your way, he ends up walking into the classroom having memorized as much as he possibly can about all of the items in the study guide, and doesn't have a clue until grades are posted whether he did good or not.

I think that my main problem with this particular style of teaching, is that he hasn't actually learned anything about any of the art that they have been going over. Instead, he memorizes as many small, useless details as possible, just to hold him over until the next test where he has to do it all again.

Aren't you supposed to come out of a class feeling like you have learned something on the subject?

It's pointless.

Update: Brett ended up with a B for his final grade in this class. Hallelujah!

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you are still out of a job. :( I ran into Mike Coombs last week and he told me to tell you how sorry he was. I hope you find something soon. You are fabulous! I'm sure you will. But at least you can take this time to work on your book. That's a small positive in a sea of negative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A teacher like that would frustrate me to no end.... at this level of education, you don't have time or money to waste on the irrelevant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My post today doesn't even skim the surface. My new job is great and I am myself again. I have missed you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girly, I saw you are looking for a job. I just wanted to tell you 1800contacts is hiring. I think you would be great at it. It's right off of the bangeter exit in Draper by Boon Docks. I work from home and have for 3 years. I love it. I don't know how much you need pretty sure they are starting people at 10.00/hr. Just in case you're interested.

    ReplyDelete

Come on! Tell us what's on your mind. You know you want to....