July 14, 2008

10 books to read before you die

I saw a link on AOL the other day that said '10 books to read before you die'. This intrigued me! I have such a strong opinion for the books I like or don't like, that I decided it would be fun to compare my list to theirs.


Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell*
Lord of the Rings (1-3) - J.R.R. Tolkien*
Harry Potter (1-7) - J.K. Rowling
The Stand - Stephen King*
The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee*
Angels & Demons - Dan Brown*
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand*
The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger*
The Holy Bible**

Here is my list. It is definitely different, but some are the same:



The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
Harry Potter (1-7) - J.K. Rowling
The Giver - Lois Lowry
Twilight (1-3) - Stephenie Meyer
The Lottery Rose - Irene Hunt
Pictures of Hollis Woods - Patricia Reilly Giff
The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
The Color Purple - Alice Walker
The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards

I think everyone should read these books! I won't go into detail about why I love them, but if you are curious, feel free to ask. Leave a comment to tell me what your top 10 list is, or even just your favorite book. I would love to know what books are good so that I can read them if I haven't already. =)
*I have not read these books yet, but I want to!
**I might not ever get around to this one......we'll see.

2 comments:

  1. Stay away from "A Wrinkle in Time". lol. I liked your list. I've read more books on that, than the AOL version. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to pick a top 10, as my tastes change over time... but it would definitely include:

    The Giver (I LOVE this book)
    Lord of the Rings 1 - 3
    Harry Potter 1 - 7
    A Prayer for Owen Meany
    Eat, Pray, Love

    Other possibilities:

    The Time Travelers Wife
    The Hunt for Red October
    The Da Vinci Code
    Pastwatch

    And for some humor and fun -
    Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (and follow up books)
    Xanth series (very silly but so fun)

    I also really enjoyed the Dragon Riders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey

    ~~~~~~~~~
    I enjoyed the Alchemist, was a bit bored by the Memory Keepers Daughter. Tell me what you like about the Book Thief - I don't think I've heard of that.

    ReplyDelete

Come on! Tell us what's on your mind. You know you want to....