October 31, 2010

All Hallows Eve


Tonight is my favorite night of the year. Tonight is Halloween. I remember when I was little trick or treating always took place on Halloween. No matter what day of the week it was there would be kids in costume running from house to house gathering candy that filled their bags to the top. The doorbells would ring until 11pm. The streets were filled with laughter and screaming, and it was obvious that good times were being had. Good memories were being made.

Now things are so different.

Trick or treating takes place on the Saturday closest to Halloween, mostly as a convenience to the adults, and the kids that come to the door are sparse. The doorbell stops ringing at 8pm. The kids just don't seem to be as enthused as I remember being when I was in their shoes.

It's sad.

Tonight there are no trick or treaters and I only saw one person making a poor attempt at a Halloween costume in Office Max. We are watching Sweeney Todd with no interruptions from the doorbell.

This isn't how it should be. The kids these days are getting gypped. It makes me sad.


Happy Halloween! A post to come soon of our Halloween party last weekend.

4 comments:

  1. None Other Than Mr. AnonymousNovember 1, 2010 at 1:10 PM

    Wow at my moms house we had a shit load of treaters. All over the street. I bet we had 150+ at my moms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I loved about North Ogden! It was always so fun and there were so many kids. Highland was desolate. :( Tell your mom that I'm coming to her house next year for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are many kids that do the trunk-or-treats now, rather than going door to door. I know in some places they won't allow you to go door-to-door trick-or-treating because it is getting unsafe (I haven't heard any of this in Utah, but other places), and that is what is really sad to me, that kids can't even feel safe to trick-or-treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's extremely sad! I only had one trick or treater and they were our friends taking their kids to houses were they knew the peeps.

    ReplyDelete

Come on! Tell us what's on your mind. You know you want to....