February 4, 2011

A Bit of Old Poetry

I wrote this poem in 2006 shortly after my mom was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma

It came as such a shock,
I never saw it coming.
When you called to tell me the news,
I could feel my heart beat drumming.
The first question I had for God,
was 'when will it be enough?'
She's been to hell and back before,
but I guess he knows that she'll stay tough!
The trials never get her down,
she always fights it through.
I think that I'm the one who's scared,
and I don't know what to do.
The tears that hit my cheeks,
were letting out all the pain.
But staying strong for her,
is something I have to do again.
I want to understand it all,
how, when, where and why?
But then I think about it again,
and I just can't help but cry.
It hurts to know there's nothing I can do,
but sit back and hold her hand.
Maybe that will help, I guess,
but I just don't understand.
I slowly start to realize,
the word is the scariest part.
When you hear someone say Cancer,
there's a sinking feeling in your heart.
Then you come to see the light,
that she'll make it through each day.
A sense of strength comes over you,
and you know everything will be okay.

2 comments:

Come on! Tell us what's on your mind. You know you want to....