December 5, 2011

The contents of my weekend

It was a busy one, that's for sure.

I spent Friday night with Brett trying to help me figure out how to melt chocolate. I know that sounds fucking retarded, but if there is one thing I can say about myself, it is that I don't really know my way around a kitchen. He is a much better chef than I am, so I would not have been able to do this project without him. He was able to figure out what we were doing wrong, and set us back on the right path.

I was making four dozen Oreo truffles for a cookie exchange the next morning, and when the chocolate wouldn't melt right I almost had a mental breakdown. They had to be done that night, because if not I would have nothing to take with me to the party.

Brett had spent the majority of the day, in the midst of finals week, building me the display for my cookies that I had dreamt up the day before and sprung on him like a total asshole. He did it though, and it was so much more amazing than I could have imagined it. Because of him, I won the award for best display at the party:


My vision was Santa's sleigh on a rooftop, being pulled by Reindeer. I'd say he nailed it. 

Then after the cookie exchange was over, Shay and I (FINALLY!) went to see Breaking Dawn, part 1. I had heard mixed reviews about it, so I didn't really know what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. As usual. I have really enjoyed the film adaptations of these books and watching them come to life. Now I just have to wait a year to see the next one.  Damn.  

2 comments:

  1. Here's the biggest secret you need to know about melting chocolate... melt it slow and don't let even a drop of water get in the pan, or the chocolate will seize up! (If it does, melt some butter or vegetable oil and stir that it to loosen it back up)

    I would very much like to try one of your oreo truffles...

    Glad to hear you enjoyed Breaking Dawn. I haven't yet dragged myself to the theatre to see it - but want to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips Allison!! ;)

    Not sure how well they'll hold up during transit, but email me your address and I'll send you some truffles!

    ReplyDelete

Come on! Tell us what's on your mind. You know you want to....