December 1, 2011

December snuck up on me fast this year

The only snow we have had thus far in 2011....fine by me!

I know that it's December, and there's nothing that I can do about it, but I'm just not ready yet.

I'm not ready for snow. It was supposed to bombard us yesterday, but it didn't come. I can't tell you how relieved I was when I woke up this morning and looked out the window. The fact that there was no snow on the ground meant that I had ten more minutes of sleeping to do because I didn't have to go out and clean the snow off of my Jeep. I'm not going to be happy when it finally does start falling, because if it's held off this long, I have a feeling that means it's going to be a rough winter.

I'm not ready for Christmas. I am usually so excited for Christmas to come that I just can't stand it, but this year for some reason, I'm just not. I didn't put up my tree, instead I am using the wooden tree that Brett built me last year as a cookie display. This year my heart is just not in it. I'm not sure why.

Who knows, maybe I will come out of my funk.  One can only hope.

2 comments:

  1. Sadly it just gets worse and worse the older you get. I remember as a kid that it took FOREVER for Christmas to roll around each yer. This week I looked at the calendar and thought "didn't I just put these decorations away???"

    I'm going for a more minimalist Christmas this year... no tree - but I did finally hang a garland on my mantle and am hanging my favorite ornaments form it... a sort of horizontal tree. And I have a set of three small funky trees with snowflakes on them that I'm setting out on display... but that's it. I'm not even breaking into my other boxes of ornaments.

    Same goes for gifts. I'm giving very few this year - and not expecting many either. Instead, I'm supporting my son and his family with their efforts to raise money for a clean water project for a village with no access. My 8 year old granddaughter said that's what she wanted to do for Christmas. I think its a great new trend for gift giving... Check it out and pass it on... http://pearceonearth.com/a-different-kind-of-christmas/

    Hope you come out of your funk.... have you tried putting on some holiday music?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who didn't put up their tree. I like the idea of hanging ornaments from a garland on your mantle!!

    Maybe next year it will be a bit better when we have our own place again and don't live in our sister's basement. I think I'm just ready to be out of there, and I know that this will most likely be our last Christmas living with them.

    I will definitely check out that website! I think that sounds like a great idea. I, too, am giving minimal gifts this year. I feel like every year I make this huge deal of the gifts that we give to people, yet no one appreciates the efforts I make. This year, my gifts will go to the people that I know will enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete

Come on! Tell us what's on your mind. You know you want to....