January 20, 2010

I asked, and I received

About four months ago I submitted my blog for review over at Ask And Ye Shall Receive where, as proclaimed in their blog address, they promised to fucking tear me apart.

Yesterday was the day that my review went up. You can read it here.

My reviewer was a chick named Mongoliangirl. She definitely did not disappoint on the aforementioned promise, and I actually laughed a few times while I was reading what she had to say about my blog. Not only did she tear me apart, but she did it in a pretty comical way. Her number one complaint seemed to be my lack of consistency. I am an all-over-the-place kind of blogger, and she didn't really like that too well. I get it.

She thinks that I should focus more on the monumental happenings in my life, and expand on those stories more than I have been. I can't say that I disagree, but at the same time I worry that if I focus too hard on one set of topics things around here will become a lot more monotonous. What do you think? Do you want to hear more about my hunt to find my biological father, the emotions that go along with said inquisition, and the time that Brett almost died?

Maybe I should pour my heart out a little more.

I did disagree with the part of the review where she suggested that rather than telling you the story about the time that the photographer didn't show up to take our pictures, I should've posted a back story on the graffiti covered building that we were planning on having in the background of those pictures. My only problem with that suggestion is this: I know nothing about that building to be able to write a story about it. I just know that I used to drive by it on my commute everyday, and it seemed like an awesome place for a photo shoot. So that really wouldn't have been an option. I knew the story about the photographer not showing, because I was there and I was extremely upset about it, but the history of the building is a complete mystery to me.

I also found it completely hilarious that she was so focused on the one post that I ever did about a pair of sandals. She thinks that I throw too much of my daily life into my posts, and used the phrase "a bunch of tidbits, trivia, and surface tripe" to describe the parts of my life that I blog about. The only reason that this was confusing to me is that I thought that's what having a blog was all about. Sharing stories about your life, and letting people get a feel for who you are. If all I ever blogged about were the serious, sad, and tragic things that happened in my life the stories would be too heavy, and my blog would be a severely depressing place to be. No one would want to read it.

I like constructive criticism because it helps me improve myself. I will definitely think about everything that she said, and try to come up with ways that I improve the stories that I tell and make them more interesting. As for the randomness, I don't know if that one will ever go away. I am a random person with random thoughts, and I kind of like that about myself.

She did say that she thinks my writing is clear and straightforward, and she thinks that I have potential, which is pretty cool. She also said that she is going to put me into her reader and see if I can improve, which I appreciate. I was really glad to see that she didn't hate my blog template. That is one thing that the reviewers tend to have a problem with when they review blogs.

Thanks MongolianGirl for reviewing my blog, I'll be interested to see if you change your mind about me in the future.


7 comments:

  1. So I really like reading your blog when I actually get on the computer! I think you are always entertaining and I love yer tidbits and such. You are much better than me with critisizm. But I guess if you ask for it you better be willing to take it. So good for you;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I would necessarily call it constructive criticism, but ok! Very cool that your blog got reviewed. I don't have cahonies big enough to submit mine for review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. None Other Than Mr. AnonymousJanuary 21, 2010 at 7:37 AM

    Critics are a crock of shit. Look at the critics who review movies. All the good movies get shitty reviews and the only ones that get good reviews are the ones that have a liberal agenda or are fag movies. That's right I said fag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My feelings are that you need to be you in your blog. We do blogs for ourselves not to impress others. So keep up with your blog the way you love. I love your blog. It's never bad to improve on things you feel need it however don't let her get in your head. Be yourself - love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I'm impressed that you willingly subjected your blog to a ripping you apart review.

    I like your blog - along with the trivia and tidbits : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. None Other Than Mr. AnonymousFebruary 8, 2010 at 2:39 PM

    Maybe an update someday might be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. See, I have always thought that a blog is whatever the hell you want it to be. If you want to rant about meaningless things, so be it. Who says you have to pour our your soul or stick to monumental happenings in your life for a blog to be worthwhile. I like your blog and I like reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Come on! Tell us what's on your mind. You know you want to....