November 13, 2009

Didn't see this one coming

I never really expected anything to come of it, but I did it anyway. That's the kind of person I have become, I guess. Just try it out. If it works, great! If not, move on. I was driving in the car on my way to work one morning when I heard the DJ of the local morning show that I listen to call out to the listeners. "If you've got an idea for a topic we can use on the show, send us an email."

So I did. I sent him an email that told a brief version of this story. I was pretty sure that once the DJ read the email it would be passed over, and quickly forgotten. Surely there were more interesting topics out there. But at least I gave it a shot.

Turns out that wasn't the case at all. Yesterday I was driving to work and I heard that same DJ bring up my topic on the air. I hadn't emailed him back yet, and he was going to read the email on the air in five minutes or so. Two quick phone calls later, and there I was live on the radio talking about one of the most monumental things to ever happen in my life.

I was so nervous. I could fell my hands shaking as I tried to hold the phone steady to my ear. But I kept it together and answered all of the questions that were fired in my direction.

After the phone call was over, I couldn't believe it. I think that having the conversation live on the radio, and putting my story out there for everyone to hear helped make it so much more real for me. I couldn't help but wonder, what if he listens to their show, and he just heard everything that I said. What if he recognized my name, and now he's trying to figure out how to contact me? What if this was the step that leads to me actually finding him?

I think that this was a step in the right direction.

4 comments:

  1. You are so BRAVE!! You sounded great on the radio to, very confident. I hope it all works out the way you want it to in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! I heard the DJ announce that topic on my way to work too. And he was just going to refer to you as Ms. X, since he hadn't heard from you yet. Unfortunately I got to work so I didn't get to hear your letter or you, but that's so cool. I'm glad you made at influence in the radio world and inspired a powerful topic! Kudos girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaylyn what a crazy story. I wish you the best and hope all works out for you. Know that our prayers are with you and that we are thinking of you. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just able to listen to the radio show. WOW! I really hope that it all works out for you, too, when you think it's time for you to make your next move. I love happy endings!

    ReplyDelete

Come on! Tell us what's on your mind. You know you want to....