May 26, 2011

Inconsistencies

Last night after Brett got home from work we decided it was time for a snack, so we headed off to Smith's Marketplace down the street from our house. Brett grabbed a six pack and I got some ice cream. Quick trip to the store, and we'd be on our way in a matter of minutes.

Or not.

We got up to the self check out to pay, and when the machine prompted, the cashier working in that area came over to check Brett's ID. After handing his ID to her, she turned to me and asked for mine as well. I told her that I didn't have my ID with me, and she quickly advised us that she could not sell us the beer if we didn't both have our drivers licenses with us.

In the three years that this store has been open, we have never had this problem. Usually they ask the person who is purchasing the beer and that is it. In a few instances I have even been by myself buying beer and the cashier has not asked me for my ID at all. When we brought this to the cashiers attention she still wouldn't budge.

Management was involved and the cashier and managers that we were speaking with kept referring to the fact that they couldn't sell the beer to us due to a state law that prohibited it if we didn't both have ID.


We ended up leaving, sans beer, to go home and get my ID so that I could abide by their rules and prove that I was, in fact, old enough to buy beer.

We wouldn't want to break any laws now, would we?

Upon returning to the store after retrieving my ID, we gathered our items again and headed back up to the front to pay. When we got up to the cash registers, we chose another line to go through so that we didn't have to talk to the previous cashier again. She had been a real bitch, and I wasn't in the mood to hear more of her shit.

We put the beer and ice cream on the belt and waited our turn to pay. When we approached the register we were greeted by the new cashier and she began ringing up our items. She asked Brett for his ID and then continued to ring us up. Without asking me for my ID.

Before the transaction was complete, the cashiers phone rang. When she picked it up, we knew exactly what was happening. The managers that we had spoken with earlier, who were standing up at the front of the store, were apparently panicking because they knew that she hadn't ID'd both of us.

I was so pissed. I had gone home, and come back to the store because I was assured that there was no other way for us to leave that store with a six pack in hand.

Then the new cashier went ahead and totally proved us right.

As mad as I was that they had wasted 45 minutes out of my day, I couldn't have been happier with the outcome. We ended up taking the phone number of their store director and you better believe that he will be hearing about the way that we were treated by his employees.

3 comments:

  1. Since my father is a manager at Smiths in Brigham I am going to tell you make sure you push this issue hard with the store manager. My father said this is ridiculous. He said they are such idiots you could've just went and sat in the car and your hubby would've been in there buying it with his I.D ONLY with no problem. That is crap how they treated you. Sorry girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info Brandie.

    That's the other part of the story that makes me so mad. They told us that if I went out to the car and he came back in by himself they still wouldn't sell it to him. These ladies were ruthless. They were being so rude!

    We will definitely be calling the manager.

    ReplyDelete

Come on! Tell us what's on your mind. You know you want to....