May 23, 2011

Phone Etiquette

I work in a job where I am on the phone all day.  The one prominent thing that I have learned from working in this field is that there are a lot of people who don't have very good phone etiquette.  A lot.

Here are some pointers for you if you are one of these people:

  1. If you are calling someone on the phone, don't stick food in your mouth right before they pick up.  It's gross.
  2. If you are talking to someone on the phone, and they are in the middle of a sentence, let them finish what they have to say before you start talking.  Cutting people off is fucking rude.
  3. Don't breath heavy into the phone.
  4. Don't start your conversation off by yelling at the person who picked up the phone.  Chances are, whatever you are pissed off about is not their fault.
  5. Don't have side conversations with your co-workers.
  6. If you called me, don't put me on hold right after I answer the phone.
This shit happens on a daily basis. 

3 comments:

  1. What the hell! What kind of bastage would do #6?!!!...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have another one to add...If you have a screaming kid or loud kids that insist on being right by the phone when you call...go lock yourself in a room so that we can actually hear you.
    oh wait...I have another one...If you are the person that knows what needs to be said, you should be the one to call, not your spouse. If they don't say what you want them to say don't scream at them in the background, just make the call yourself! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try working for the IRS and talking to taxpayers who are being audited.. Complete fucking douche bags! I am sure you've had douches though!

    ReplyDelete

Come on! Tell us what's on your mind. You know you want to....