May 21, 2011

Lost*

I can feel the cold, frigid air falling in around me,
it's my least favorite thing, snow.
Yet I'm surrounded by it,
where am I? I don't know...

I cry out for someone to bring me warmth,
but there is no one around to hear.
I can barely see through the blizzard of snow,
nothing in front of me is clear.

I don't know which way is North or South,
if only I could tell them apart.
As I start to think that I may never get home,
I have a sinking sensation in my heart.

I am shuffling my feet through the blanket of snow,
just trying to push my way through.
I keep trying to figure out how I got here,
and what I am going to do.

As I continue moving on,
the darkness around me grows thicker.
I want so badly to get home,
I can feel my feet moving quicker.

As I'm walking I suddenly feel myself fall,
but before I reach the ground.
My muscles jolt and my eyes shoot open,
I take a second to look around.

It takes me a minute to catch my breath,
as I try to take it all in.
Just moments ago I was lost in the cold,
but now things look familiar again.

It seems that the night is over,
and the light of the day is moving on.
The sun shines bright through the window now,
and the darkness appears to be gone.


*a poem that I wrote sometime last year

2 comments:

  1. A dream... it was just a dream!

    Very good, Kaylyn - I have no idea how you artsy-fartsy folks can rhyme. You make it look easy, but it ain't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was a dream. I tend to be a vivid dreamer, so I enjoy writing about it. I should probably do it more often though to document some of the weird shit that goes on in my head at night. You'd get a kick out of it. Last night it was parachute spiders.....

    ReplyDelete

Come on! Tell us what's on your mind. You know you want to....