August 13, 2009

The first of many without her

Today should be a happy day. It should be a day filled with smiles and celebration. There should be a party to attend, with a guest of honor who is being showered with gifts. We should be eating dinner at her favorite restaurant, and preparing for the birthday weekend tradition that we started for her last year. There should be candles on a cake, and wishes being made. She should be surrounded by family and friends, enjoying the first day of the next year of her life.

Today would have been my mom’s 62nd birthday. If you ask me, 61 birthdays aren’t enough. She should still be here. She should be able to do all of the things that she loved: Watching her grandchildren grow, taking cruises, visiting new cities, shopping on QVC, making chocolates, sewing blankets, taking pictures, finishing the book she was reading, adding to her many collections, drinking Pepsi, watching new movies, picking wildflowers, listening to Chris LeDoux, going to yard sales, eating pretzels, spending time with her children, visiting her dad, playing with her dogs, going to lunch with her best friend.

Today my heart is heavy.



Happy Birthday mom! I love you, and miss you everyday.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your momma. I'm sorry today is not the best of days. Chin up. She's in a good place :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomorrow is our mom's birthday too. It does give me a heavy heart. How do you celebrate the one you love when she isn't here? I guess just think of her and by doing the stuff she loves. Way to be strong. Happy Birthday to her, and I'm sending my love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kaylyn,
    I'm a little blog lazy lately. It will get better come winter. BUt I wanted to tell you I'm sorry the first one is always the toughest. I agree 61 is not enough! I love you hope you're doing okay!

    ReplyDelete

Come on! Tell us what's on your mind. You know you want to....