August 3, 2009

Jackson {part 1}

The day after Brett's triathlon we started preparing for the next big adventure in our lives. There were groceries bought, bags packed, tents and sleeping bags gathered, laughs had, and Cars loaded. The next morning, we set off for Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

Brett and I borrowed the Explorer and loaded it to the top with our camping gear, as well as the camping gear of the Schlange's. Shay rode up with Chaz's dad, and Chaz stayed home. He didn't come up until Tuesday night because he had to work. Though we were all sad that we would have to wait a few days for him to join us, he kept his chin up and told us that he would enjoy his little 'staycation' before the big vacation.

I have only been to Jackson once, and I was only about 8 or 9 years old, so I didn't remember a lot, which also meant that I really didn't know what to expect. Chaz, Shay, and Brett had all been there before and between the three of them I had heard some pretty awesome stories. There was one thing that I was worried about though, and that was the river. There was going to be a lot of White Water Rafting involved on this trip, and I was scared.

Before we even left, I was convinced that I would probably die on the river. I'm not talking about just any river here, the river that we were going to be riding was THE river. The Snake River.

The drive to Jackson wasn't bad at all, it would make an awesome trip for a three day weekend. We have grown a new love for books on tape during a road trip, and this time we opted for I am the messenger, by Markus Zusak. We highly recommend it.

At the camp ground we met up with some of Chaz's family, and decided who's tents were going where. After a few hours worth of setting up tents, and making sure that everything was accounted for it was already time for lunch. I expected that the rest of the day would be spent relaxing and getting used to being in the wilderness, but they had a different idea. They were ready to hit the river. Asap. I wasn't sure that I was quite ready, but got my wetsuit and life jacket on anyway. I was nervous. Have I mentioned that I am afraid of almost everything?

The whole time I was screaming like a little girl, but I didn't cry. It's like the first time you go on a really scary roller coaster, and then when your done you want to go again and again. We got to the end of the first ride, and I was ready to go again! It was awesome.

I promise that part 2 will be coming soon, I just have to decide which of the millions of pictures I took to use. Literally millions.

3 comments:

  1. Gee ya leave us hanging like that. haha Jackson is awesome, and the snake river is a blast when its not high water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the pictures! Ya'll do the most fun things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That chaz guy seems like he is the coolest guy ever.

    ReplyDelete

Come on! Tell us what's on your mind. You know you want to....