May 4, 2009

The Color Purple


Title: The Color Purple

Directed by: Steven Spielberg

The Color Purple is a film adaptation of Alice Walker's novel of the same name. I read the book about six years ago, and loved it! So naturally I was up for the challenge when Psonya presented me with the idea to watch and review this movie, {it's her favorite!} in exchange for her to do the same with my favorite movie.

To be completely honest with you, I have to say that I was not that impressed with the film version of the story. I think that the book was wonderful, and I was pretty disappointed after I watched the movie. Part of the problem when making a book into a movie is always the fact that you can't cram all of the story into two hours. So naturally there were pieces missing. The cast for the film had a LOT of big named actors/actresses: Oprah, Danny Glover, Whoopi Goldberg, and Laurence Fishburne are just a few. I think that with the cast in mind I expected the movie to be much better than it turned out to be. I do however, think that Oprah gave an amazing performance. Most of the time I forgot that it was even her that I was watching. She really did a great job of playing Sophie. With that said, I really don't think that any of the other actors/actresses gave it their all. It could've been done much better, in my opinion.

I also think that one of the things that made it hard to watch was the pace. It was so slow. I think that the story works well for a book because it is something that you read a few chapters here and there, then put it down for a while, which helps to break it up a little. But watching the whole movie at once I found myself bored.

I am really bummed that I didn't like the movie. I was really hoping that it would be as good as the book. I do find that most times the movie is never as good as the book to me though, so maybe I am just a sucker for turning pages. I also have to say that I usually tend to like movies that are a little more fast paced, and not so sad. This is truly a depressing story, and maybe that's why I think it is better for me to read it. Then I can put it down and give my brain a rest from all of the sadness.

The movie that I picked for Psonya is very different. Who knows, maybe she won't like it and it will all come down to the fact that we just have different taste in movies. We'll see! She's posting her review today, too. So CLICK HERE to see what she thinks of Green Street Hooligan's.

Sorry Psonya!!

Have you seen The Color Purple? What did you think?

3 comments:

  1. Awww, sorry you didn't like it. I could kind of tell that action was your thing! I was thinking about it while I was watching, and I thought "These are two TOTALLY different movies. Kaylyn is probably bored to tears." You've convinced me that I should probably read the book, though. Well, I liked the Green Street Hooligans, so I guess we're tied! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, we can do it again, but I must admit I'm not much of a movie watcher...all the ones I've seen, you've probably seen too. And I have no action flicks in my arsenal. The only movie I could think of that you might remotely like is "Love Jones." But its slow, too. And a romance. My other favorite is "Imitation of Life." Hmmm, I'll have to do some thinking.

    Oh, and of course, we can still be friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl,
    I'm all for a girls night soon!! I don't think I could give those girls up for anything!! You should totally start coming with us.

    ReplyDelete

Come on! Tell us what's on your mind. You know you want to....